You know that a good diet is important, so you try to fill your plate with nutritious foods, so that you will stay healthy and feel your best. But what if you were unwittingly eating something that made your arthritis pain worse? There are certain foods that can cause pain, stiffness, and swelling for people with arthritis. On the other hand, there are also foods that can actually alleviate the symptoms of arthritis. Are you doing all you can to keep arthritis pain at bay? Here are some tips to help, along with advice on avoiding the top five foods that trigger arthritis pain.
- Refined carbohydrates: Pasta, white bread, white rice, white potatoes, and many cereals are refined carbs. Data from Scientific American indicates that processed carbohydrates may be even worse than fats for causing obesity and chronic health issues.
- Sugar: Sugar causes inflammation in the body, and can sneak into your diet in a number of ways. One of the biggest contributors to arthritis is the sugar found in sweet drinks, so try to stick to water, sparkling water, or iced tea sweetened with just a splash of orange juice.
- Unhealthy fats: Saturated fats trigger adipose inflammation, which worsens arthritis inflammation, and trans fats cause systemic inflammation. Omega 6 fatty acids are essential, but too much of them can trigger the body’s production of inflammatory chemicals.
- Nightshade vegetables: For many people, tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, and peppers can cause an arthritis flare-up. Tomatoes are especially problematic because they raise levels of uric acid, which can trigger gout. Other vegetables, like carrots, squash, Brussels sprouts, and leafy greens, can help protect against arthritis.
- Gluten and Casein: Many people find that avoiding gluten, which is found in wheat, barley, and rye, can help alleviate joint pain. Casein, found in dairy products, can also trigger joint pain. There is also speculation that an overlap between arthritis and gluten sensitivity or celiac disease may exist.
At Parkwood Heights, we prioritize the health and happiness of our residents. We want them to live life to the fullest, as they enjoy all the amenities that make Parkwood a great place to live their best lives. A lovely community in which to spend your retirement, Parkwood Heights is located just minutes from Victor, Fairport, Farmington, and Canandaigua. Our picturesque, 122-acre senior living campus affords many opportunities to enjoy your time with friends and family while enjoying our scenic setting. Call (315) 986-9100 to learn more about all that we have to offer, including Case Management and Medication Management for Seniors. Check out our website and reach out if you have any questions