Perplexed about what to get the senior in your life this holiday season? That older adult on your shopping list may well be facing two challenges: the economy that has seniors looking for basic items they can no longer afford and the loneliness that many seniors encounter because families may not be able to visit.
Many seniors, including those in care communities, could have no one to visit them during the holidays this year as families cut travel expenses and treasured family time. So the most valuable gift is companionship.
That’s why the Home Instead Senior Care® network has developed a list of presents that seniors may not be able to afford, but that can bring families together. Following are several suggestions:
- A newspaper or magazine subscription – Some of your senior loved one’s fondest memories could revolve around life at the dinner table discussing the day’s events, hobbies or favorite celebrity etc.. A subscription to their favorite newspaper and magazine can help them continue that tradition with you or their friends at Parkwood Heights.
- DVD player and favorite DVDs – A DVD player will help your older adult enjoy their favorite old movies. But it will be much more special if you bring the popcorn and make a night of it.
- Tickets to a sporting event or play – What better treat than tickets for your senior loved one and the rest of the family to attend a play or favorite team event?
- Scenic train or boat trip – Many communities, like Parkwood Heights, have excursions – such as scenic train or boat trips – which can serve as great incentives for seniors to get out and about.
- A calendar – Create a calendar with activities, like the Parkwood Heights Activity Calendar, that are going on in your family’s life so a senior can feel a part of them. Check online; there are many resources for personalizing calendars with family photos.