The facts about falling might make you lose your balance… so you might want to sit down for this.
- One in three over 65 fall each year.
- At least 1/3 or falls are the result of hazards in the home.
- Almost 60% of people who fell in the previous year will fall again.
Many people believe the myth that falls for older adults are inevitable but this is simply not true! Simple changes to your home and habits can prevent YOU from becoming a statistic.
Create a No Fall Zone.
- Choose shoes which give you a stable foundation. For example, flip flops and slippers can really trip you up! Instead choose non-skid soles, closed toes, and low heels even when walking around your house!
- Remove throw rugs especially in pathways
- Keep a nightlight or flashlight by your bed AND beside the chair where you usually sit in case you need to move around in the dark.
- Never place items in walkways, even temporarily.
- Never arrange electrical cords across areas where you walk.
- Do you have a pet? Attach a bell to your pet’s collar so you are always aware when they are nearby.
Take a look around your home and pretend that you’re seeing it for the first time. Are there objects or furniture arrangements that could be hazardous? I can promise you that cute throw rug won’t look nearly as attractive from your hospital bed!
Are you or someone you love at risk for falls? Please don’t wait until you fall to take action!
Taking simple steps today can prevent missteps tomorrow.
Join us June 8 at 10:30 am at Parkwood Heights for a Fall Prevention seminar presented by MVP Healthcare. Reserve your seat todaym, 585-223-7595 or 315-986-9100